A guide for first time horse racing bettors who are totally new to the world of online sports betting. Learn everything you need to know about betting on the horses in order to have the best chance to withdraw money from your sportsbook. This beginners guide covers all of the basics so you will be able to confidently place a bet on the horses this week.
Gambling is, by its very nature, a risk-ridden way to fill your time or even to try and make money. But, when done sensibly, it can also be a fun and exciting addition to watching sport. Knowing the best way to bet on the horses can either make or ruin your experience. The first time people have a go is usually at a track on a work outing or with a bunch of friends. It can be a great day out. Especially if you take some funds that you plan to lose, look at it as a way of paying for entertainment. You pay to go to the cinema, so paying to have fun watching your selected horse run around the track is exactly the same. If your horse wins it’s bonus. But never chase a loss and never wager more money than you can afford.
Know the Horses Inside Out
It goes to say that if you’re going to put money on a horse to win a race, you need to know about the track, the ground, the competition as well as the horses form, the jockey’s fitness and how the trainer’s history.
These details will help you to make and informed bet and will better prepare you for spotting good-value markets.
Betting Tools That Will be Helpful
The tools you will need will vary on whether you’re going to a track or you’re placing an online bet. Those of you going to the track might need to add a coat, umbrella or even sunscreen to your list of tools.
Wherever you plan to place your bets the list of tools below will be useful:
- Access to the Race Card
- Form Guide
- Public handicappers selection
- Tip sheets
– this gives a list of the horses & jockeys competing in the race. If you use the bookies race card, the odds will be provided as well.
– This provides the past performances of the horses running in the race. As well as information on the jockeys, trainers, and owners. Many online bookmakers provide this information for free.
– A handicapper often makes daily selections. The bookmakers racing blooger often makes selections each day. 888sports racing blog is especially good for this.
– There are tipsters found all over the internet. Some people pay for daily racing tips but bookmakers bloggers often provide their tips for free.
The Favourite Doesn’t Always Win
This is true of every sport, but especially so for the horses. It does seem an obvious point but it is difficult for any punter to ignore the price bookies have given.
Don’t just stick to one bookmaker – shop around
Odds vary from site to site. Although the bigger bookies offer best odds guaranteed on certain races through out the year. If you’re not betting with a best odds guaranteed bookie or a qualifying race, quickly compare the odds available at a couple of bookies before placing your bet.
In addition to this, betting promotions are often available so it is always wise to place your bets with the site offering the best promotion for your selected race.
Doing both of these things will ensure you get the best value from your bet.
How To Place a Bet
We have an in depth guide here that explains how to place a bet on sport in general. But as a quick overview, navigate your chosen betting site to find the racing, then navigate to the days racing, select the track you are interested in and then the race you want. Chose your horse. It will be added to the betting slip. Next enter the amount you would like to bet and click on the ‘place bet now’ button.
Choosing A Betting Site
Shopping for an online sportsbook is like looking for a new car: there are a ton of options found when you search Google or the app stores and if you do a bit of research you will be pleased with the choice you make. However it can be time consuming to find the one that’s perfect for betting on the horses with. So it can be wise to visit a site like ours that advises which are the best horse betting apps.
Some Random Facts that Might be Useful
Regardless of whether you’re betting for fun or to win a few quid you will want to put yourself in the best position to win. The facts and stats below can help you better your chances.
- Each bookmaker has a blog, have a read of the racing section and see if you can pick up a few good tips.
- The top ten riders in the jockey standings win about 90% of the races run during the meet.
- Favourites horses win about 33% of the time, although at a low payoff.